Thursday, February 7, 2013

Food Jock

I've never been into sport. The moving of the sphereoids about the rectangular fields (Courts? Arenas? Trapezoids? I get it all so confused) does nothing to stir my heart. I haven't sat down with the intention of watching a sport ball game since I was ten or younger.

For years I honestly didn't understand why or how people could care about sports. It just didn't do anything for me. I always felt that the level of fanaticism devoted to it was at best a waste of time, and at worst a dangerous symptom of the fall of our way of life.

But then... I discovered something wonderful, something that pulled all those crazy fans with their favorite teams and their custom jerseys into the realm reasonable reaction.

I discovered Food Competition Shows.



Iron Chef, Chopped, Food Network Challenge, The Great Food Truck Race, Rachel vs Guy: Celebrity Chef and who knows how many others. If there's two Chefs trying to see whose better, I want to be there watching, wishing I could taste even the most disgusting looking of dishes.

Chopped Allstars is like the months leading up to the Superbowl. Chef Fatty and I will endlessly talk about who would win. I even started giving him random ingredients to see what he would do in a Chopped situation. And I'll let you know, I'm damn near sadistic in my choices.

But it was this year in the days coming up to the Superbowl and I realized how much I truly, madly, deeply didn't care I started thinking.

I don't have a favorite basketball team. But I have three favorite Iron Chefs.
I don't understand how the scoring on football works. But I can tell three times out of five which Chopped dish is going to win just by how the judges react.
I've never watched more then a few moments of the Olympics. But I once watched eight consecutive episodes of the Great Food Truck Race and wished that I could inject Chopped Champions directly into my optic nerve.

What I'm trying to say is...

I'm a Food Jock.

I've started to learn how to cook. I don't have the artistry that my brother has. But I can follow pretty much any recipe given to me.

Well, just my thoughts for the evening.

See you in the Chow Line,
-The Fat Kid

No comments:

Post a Comment