Sunday, January 27, 2013

Pastrami everywhere...

So we're starting off burgers.  Awesome.  I love burgers.  I know a few who don't, but they're all weirdos.

Thing is, I don't really eat burgers all that often.  On occasion though, there's nothing better in the world.  On occasion, it's the only thing that will really satisfy.

We focused this time specifically on the Pastrami Burger.  I don't really know the genesis or history of the pastrami burger.  I don't know how or why this particular food item happened, but here it is...and thank all the crazy gods for it.



I'm not going to get into specifics on locations of the places we tried.  If you want that, (and in all honesty, probably a much more thorough review), check out Fat Kid's review right here. He even has pictures and stuff.

The Patrami Burger

The first place we went was Hires Big H in downtown SLC.  I've been there a few times in the past.  I've been to a lot of different burger joints in SLC, and this one is hands down my favorite.  There's nothing fancy about the place.  They don't spend much money on decor, or advertising.  They simply make a kick ass burger.  It always starts with the "Big H", and based on your preferences goes from there.  The staff has always been incredibly friendly. There's never a rush.  It's casual, fun, and delicious.
Their pastrami burger, is all of those things as well. Like any other burger in the place, they start with the "Big H" and then...throw pastrami on top of it.  This particular pastrami was pretty mild.  It was certainly noticeable, but only partly so.  It in no way took anything away from the "Big H", but the problem is, it didn't really add anything to it either.  The actual burger was still the star of the show.  which was fine...it's a damn tasty burger.  The pastrami was nice, but I actually found myself missing the mushrooms and onions that I usually get when I'm there.

Next we went to Crown Burger.  I actually kind of feel bad.  As I'm writing this, I wonder if that place really got a fair placement.  The Big H, was without question the best actual burger of the day.  Grub Box (which I'll talk about later) also had a HUGE highlight.  Crown kind of had nothing.
Don't get me wrong, there was nothing particularly bad about the Crown Pastrami Burger.  It's simply that, at the end of it all, it is easily the most forgettable.  It was sort of like hearing a John Mayer song, in between hearing The Beatles, and Pink Floyd.  Nothing wrong with it, you simply realize it lacks any distinction or greatness. It tasted fine.  All the parts were there.
I think the biggest disappointment about the whole thing, is The Pastrami Burger is sort of their signature sandwich.  Honestly, if that's the best they have to offer...that's fine...but I don't really feel compelled to go back knowing that there is much better out there.  I would certainly never recommend that someone NOT go there, it's just that if I'm asked for my opinion, I won't think of that place first, knowing of other...better places to go.

Finally we went to The Grub Box.  What a dump.  That's the first impression one has upon arrival.  It's  got absolutely nothing going for it in appearances.  It could easily be missed.  I think it is probably one of those places you have to intentionally go to.  It's not the type of place you would accidentally find.  You're not going to see it and feel compelled to go inside.  You should.  You really should.  If you like pastrami.
This was sort of the exact opposite experience of Hires Big H.  The burger was standard.  Traditional.  It was fine, it served it's purpose.  Bun, lettuce, tomato, mustard, beef.  It was exactly, without distinction, the same burger you get everywhere.  Then there was the pastrami.  PASTRAMI.  Piled high.  Fresh off the grill.  The blackened edges folded around and around and around itself.  The flavor exploded in your mouth on the first bite.  There was no question that the pastrami was the star of this show.  All the rest of there served more like an edible plate for the pastrami to sit on.  Without question it left all the others in the dust...in the pastrami category that is.  Which, I mean really, isn't that what a pastrami burger is all about?  They weren't messing around.  This...THIS...was a pastrami burger.  Unlike the other places which was more a burger, with a bit of pastrami on it.

I still say ultimately if its the burger aspect you're going for...go to Big H.  If your mouth needs pastrami in it, make the trip, go to the grub box, and enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment