Monday, April 1, 2013

The Chubby Gnome's Review-O-Tron REMIX: Desert Magnolia BBQ

Yesterday I had the opportunity to revisit this barbecue joint and sample a much greater selection of items on the menu. I had both my lunch and dinner there the day before this writing, and both of them back up my original opinion on the restaurant. Read on for thoughts on some of the best barbecue I've ever eaten.
Desert Magnolia BBQ on Urbanspoon
I came in during my lunch break hungering for meaty goodness, and I had a fuzzy memory of the Thursday special being something truly extraordinary, and when I entered I saw what my memory had been hinting at. House smoked, bacon-wrapped meatloaf is the Thursday special at Desert Magnolia BBQ, and holy damn is it good. It's loaded with garlic and onion, but not so much that it keeps the meat from being center star. The ground beef is a very coarse grind (possibly house ground), that creates an almost flaky texture after it's cooked, while the aforementioned veggies impart their flavors in the intervening space just enough to be an obvious ingredient of the dish, but no stronger.

If I had to nitpick the meatloaf I'd say the only thing that stands out to me is that the bacon could be a bit thicker. The wrapping is mostly there to just hold it together, and honestly I couldn't taste any difference between a bite with or without bacon. Still, any food that has been wrapped in bacon is welcome in my face.


After work I came back to pick something up for Chef Fatty, and texted him a quick picture of the menu. He wanted ribs, but there was a small note next to the cahsier's window stating that they'd run out. I began to set up a brisket order for him when, like a sign from a great and terrible god of Q, the chef walked in with a steaming slab of ribs fresh from the smoker outside. I promptly ordered a half dozen and sped toward Chef Fatty's that we could sample them together. Oh my god. Just..... wow. Perfectly moist with one of the best rubs I've ever put to my tongue, the exterior given the perfect firm, but not hard or dry texture from the smoker. In my rush to beat traffic with my long commute I completely forgot to pack any sauces while I was at the restaurant, but upon tasting these it was by no means necessary. These ribs are the best barbecue I've eaten to date, no contest. I don't care if you live in St. George, you need to come up here and give these people your money. It is well, well worth it.

1 comment: