Thursday, November 16, 2017

Fat Kid Reviews: Rice Garden

Rice Garden Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato
I’m basically a garbage disposal with a refined pallet. This paradox of culinary character leads me to try many things that other people are more leery of. And that brings us to the Rice Garden, a place I have only exclusively found in Smith’s Grocery Stores.

As I was going to college up in a town northward of where I currently reside, one of my favorite treats was to take the bus down to Smiths and get a nice plate of the chinese food in the store in the front. For years I didn’t even know the name of it. I just knew that they had delicious food.
They have a pretty nice little menu. Over the years I’ve tried most of it. But as far my taste buds and stomach are concerned there’s really only three things there.

The Orange Chicken, the Barbeque Pork, and the Rice Noodles.

The Orange Chicken is crunchy fried chicken chunks in a sauce. Though honestly it turns out more like a glaze. It’s sweet but counterbalanced with this bright acidity that you don’t always see done well in low to midrange Chinese food. The crunch on it is what always sells it for me. The glaze never saturates the coating enough to make it soggy, so even if it’s been sitting for a little bit it’s not chewy or goopy. Just a nice crunch.

The Barbeque Pork is something of an experience in and of itself. It’s set in larger pieces in the tray and they will pull out and chop up the amount you want right as you order it. It does wonders for keeping it juicy and fresh. It’s something you don’t usually see in impulse buy food and does wonders to make it feel just a little like something special. The sauce you can ask for with it is a lovely rich sort of brown sugary, soy infused BBQ sauce that just brings everything to life. Make sure to ask for extra if they’ll let you.

My favorite part, and the part I find myself craving in the dark part of the uncaring darkness, is the Rice Noodles. They’re basically just an egg and vegetable fried Taiwanesse rice noodle. But boy oh boy. That texture, the light seasoning and the little chucks of scrambled egg. It’s just lovely. And if you mix in the leftover sauces from you entrees? Boy howdy. That’s all I want out of life some days.
That right there is my 2 item combo. The one driving way of the way and or waiting for almost an hour in a Smiths for. Is it a high class meal? Ha! Nope. But do I find it driving out to West Valley or up to Logan for? Yeah. Kinda.

Anyway. Like, share, comment as you so desire.

See you in the Chow Line,
-The Fat Kid

1 comment:

  1. By gods I miss that Chinese food from Smith's. The Smith's out here doesn't have anything like it (and it's a 45 minute drive anyway). It was one of my favorite things, and if I timed things right after work on a payday I could go to Hastings and look through gaming books for an hour to an hour and half (and sometimes come out with something) and then stop by Smith's and get some chinese food then head home. IF I didn't make it in that Friday, then you'd damned well know I would be in there getting it Saturday for lunch. Those were the days.

    ReplyDelete