Tuesday, September 12, 2017

Fat Kid Reviews: Bumblebee

Bumblebee's BBQ & Grill Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato (Full Disclosure I went to the location in West Valley City but it did not have a Zomato page at the time of this being posted.)


The surge in food trucks of a few years ago has started to live out its life cycle. Though (thankfully) our food trucks seem to be going nowhere, there is a number of successful food trucks who have made the move to brick and mortar. Bumblebee Korean American Fusion just happened to be the one in closest proximity to me.

Of all the types of food I’ve had Korean is the one I have the least experience with. It’s mostly due to proximity. However, this place made it more of a priority for me.

When seeing the decor and general vibe of the place is fun. They have sort but legally distinct from videogame characters on the walls and a friendly atmosphere. Before I did this review I actually ended up going here three times, and the experience was pretty consistent. Which honestly, is a mark in the pro-column.

But anyway, on to the food.

They have a mix of Korean and American played well together over all. They’re Bulgolgi (stewed beef) was generally the hit and regardless of vehicle. Sandwich, taco, fries, bun, or piled on top of more Bulgolgi. It was properly delicious. Their chicken and pork are tasty but pale when compared to the beef. Most of their sandwiches and K-Pop fries came slathered in a mix of sauces. They hit all the right notes though a bit more acid would have moved it from “delcious but a hair sweet” to that move where you through your head back and mouth “oh my God” to the ceiling.

We had two main dishes (that weren’t just the korean meats wrapped in something). The Kalbi Burger, and the Katsu Burger.

The Kalbi was a burger made from Korean short ribs. It was simple but tasty.

I’m a bit fan of Katsu which is a pounded and fried piece of pork served with sauces or over rice. They had a Katsu burger that I very much enjoyed but it had the same issue of being just a little too sweet and needing just a little bit of acid. It wasn’t until after I had finished that I notice the pickles on the condiment bar and realized that that would have fixed my problem wholesale.

They had a “snack” (little appetizer sized portions) called “Noodle Poppers”. I purchased an order out of morbid curiosity.

They were weird. Little fried balls of rice noodles topped with cheese and some of their tasty sauces. It was arguably one of the strangest legitimately food items I’ve put into my face, but there was something strangely delicious about it. The texture was just lovely. Crunch followed by that lovely chewy smoothness that only a really good rice noodle can give you. I suggest giving them a shot.

So I guess the lesson for todays review is… always look at the condiments.

And also check this place out.

Like, Comment, and Share if that's your thing.

See you in the Chow Line,
-The Fat Kid

No comments:

Post a Comment